Have you ever watched an episode of HGTV’s House Hunters and noticed the buyer’s reaction when they see dingy tile grout? Eww, right? There are many things we aspire for in life but being THAT home seller should not be one of them! Neglecting an influential detail makes a buyer question what other gross things they may find. What may seem minuscule to you results in an influx of low-ball offers, or even worse, buyers completely walk away.
Preparing your home for sale by owner (FSBO) means decluttering, repairing, and cleaning. Presenting your home at its best is important. As for the dingy tile grout, we’ve got a simple and eco-friendly solution to help you out.
Things you’ll need:
- Baking soda
- Cleaning vinegar (yes, there’s such a thing)
- Tile brush, or a toothbrush
- A sponge and a bucket of water
To clean the grout lines:
1. Mix baking soda and cleaning vinegar in a cup to a paste consistency.
2. Apply the mixture to the grout lines with the brush and let it sit for a few minutes.
3. Use the brush to scrub the grout lines in a circular motion. You’ll see the grime coming out easily.
4. Remove the paste from the surface with a damp sponge. Be sure to rinse and wring the sponge in the bucket of water between wipes.
5. Let the surface dry. Sweep or vacuum any remaining baking soda and mop as usual.
Now that you’ve cleaned the tile grout, aim to maintain it on a weekly basis. Spot clean as necessary. Remember, a clean house appeals to prospective home buyers.
Additional tip – For stubborn stains, apply more baking soda paste and spritz it with the cleaning vinegar. The natural effervescence will help pull the dirt out.
Like this tip? Pin it on Pinterest. Want to share some FSBO selling tips? Tweet it with hashtags #FSBO #sellingtips