The phone rings. It’s a prospective buyer calling to schedule a showing within the hour. You have worked tirelessly to declutter, polish and repair your home; but everyday life happens and sometimes, you let a few housekeeping details slide. Your home is organized but not quite show-ready. To save you from panicking over last minute showings, we have compiled a super handy For Sale by Owner Show Ready Checklist. Start with one room and go down the list.
The checklist is available for download at the end of the post.
- Wipe down counters
- Clear the sink; keep dishes & food out of sight
- Spot clean the floor if necessary
- Get rid of cooking odors
- Take out the trash
- Wipe down surfaces
- Shine mirrors
- Clean the toilet bowls; leave the lids down
- Remove personal items & toiletries from the counters
- Empty wastebaskets
- Put out fresh towels & a new roll of toilet paper
- Clean lint trap
- Stow away dirty laundry out of sight
- Make the beds
- Put all clothing away
- Clear personal items from dressers & nightstands
- Secure valuables in a safe place
Front of house
- Sweep front walk
- Remove any clutter from yard – newspapers, children’s toys, garden hose
- Roll trash/waste containers out of sight
- If you have pets, place them in a secure location
- If you have children, arrange for a family member or sitter to watch them for a few hours
Keep a copy of this checklist near the phone, it will help when in a last minute scramble before the potential buyer arrives. If you have kids, give them a copy and assign a room for each to clean. An additional tip, turn the lights on in every room when showing your For Sale by Owner home.
Click here to download the For Sale by Owner Show Ready Checklist.